Southwest Chipotle Burgers
from Our Best Bites
1 1/2 lb ground chuck or ground sirloin
1-1/2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce
1 1/2 T adobo sauce (from the chipotle chili can)
1/4 C grated onion
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t cumin
1 1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 C Mayo
2 t lime juice
1 1/2 t adobo sauce (from the canned chipotle chilis)
2T chopped fresh cilantro
4-6 good quality buns
optional: jack, cotija, or queso fresco cheese (I just used provolone because that is what I had)
1. Start by making the sauce. Place mayo, adobo sauce, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl. Mix and refrigerate until ready to eat.
2. Now place the beef in a bowl and gently crumble with your fingers. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, grated onion, garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, and pepper. Use your hands to gently mix things together. If you go crazy and over-work ground beef it gets a yucky texture. Just mix it enough to distribute the ingredients.
3. Divide into 4 patties (or 6 little ones) and place on a preheated grill, indoor grill pan, or skillet.
4. If you want to top with cheese, do so in the last few minutes of grilling. I'd use jack (not pepperjack), cotija, or even some queso fresco.
5. While the burgers are cooking, toast buns and spread chipotle-lime sauce generously on each side of each bun.
6. When the burgers are done to your liking let them stand for 5 minutes off the grill/pan and then pop onto your prepared buns. Top with tomato slices, avocado slices, onion, and a crisp piece of lettuce.
Joe is a major lover of the hamburger. While he likes to try all different types of burgers I am a simple, American burger girl. So, while this burger was spicy and different, it was very tasty! Joe thoroughly enjoyed it!