Asian-Style Green Beans
recipe and image from recipezaar
1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed (I actually used frozen)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
cornstarch (mixed with cold water to thicken sauce)
sliced almonds or sesame seeds
1. Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling salted water until JUST crisp-tender (about 3 minutes) plunge into an ice water bath to cool completely.
2. Drain well and pat the beans dry using paper towels.
3. Heat sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat; add in garlic and chili flakes (if using) stir-fry 1 minute.
4. Add in beans and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Add in soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and black pepper; cook until the sauce reduces slightly and coats the beans (about 1-1/2-2 minutes longer).
6. If you want a thick sauce mix a small amount of cornstarch with a small amount of cold water and add in towards the end.
7. Add in the almonds or sesame seeds; toss to coat and transfer to a bowl.
If you are going to have to eat vegetables, might as well make them taste good, right? My husband doesn't really like green beans but both of us agreed that these were delicious! They had so much flavor! I also cut this recipe in half.