East West BBQ Crock Pot Chicken
recipe and image from Dinners for a Year and Beyond
2 medium onions, sliced, about 2 cups
2 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin on
5 chicken drumsticks, bone-in and skin on
1 cup spicy barbecue sauce such as Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet n Spicy
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
hot sauce, for serving
1. Place sliced onions in the crock pot and top with the chicken.
2. In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and orange juice. Pour over the chicken.
3. Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 4 - 5 hours or low for 7 - 8 hours.
4. When the cooking time is complete, remove the chicken to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
5. In a small pot over medium high heat, add 1 cup of the sauce from the crock pot. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir into the sauce in the pot and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until it is thickened. Pour the thickened sauce back into the crock pot and stir to combine. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with extra hot sauce if desired.
Serve with a noodle salad:
half pound of cooked and drained linguine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 cup each steamed broccoli, green beans, yellow pepper
a few shakes of sesame seeds and red pepper flakes
1. Toss all ingredients with cooked linguine noodles.
*This chicken was so moist and flavorful and went wonderful with the noodle salad!