Chicken al la Gloria
recipe and image from Cooking with Sugar
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and filleted in half lengthwise
1/3 cup flour
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS butter
1 (8 oz) container of sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sherry wine
1 small can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup whole milk
6 slices Muenster cheese
3 TBS chopped fresh parsley for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge lightly in flour to coat both sides. Shake off excess.
3. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. (You don't need to cook the chicken completely because it will finish cooking in the oven.) Transfer chicken to a 13x9 glass baking dish.
4. Add the butter to the froying pan and let it melt over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and brown mushrooms until golden. Then add the sherry wine and cook for another minute or two. Add the creamy mushroom soup and milk and mix well.
5. Pour sauce over the chicken breasts, cover with foil and bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Remove form oven and top each piece of chicken with Muenster cheese. You can fold the cheese in half if it is too wide for the breast.
6. Place chicken back in oven uncovered and broil for 1-2 minutes to brown these cheese. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
7. Top with fresh parsley.This dish would be great rice or noodles since there is usually extra sauce in the dish.
*Joe loves mushrooms so I was excited to try this dish for him. It turned out great!! I cut the recipe in half, using 4 small chicken breasts that I flattened rather than filleted. We served this with white rice and broccoli. It was delicious!! Also, I just used apple juice because I didn't have sherry wine.