Look at me! I am on fire this week- new recipe, after new recipe!
Coconut Chicken Curry
recipe and image from My Kitchen Cafe
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks or strips
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (substitute cayenne pepper if you like the heat)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 red potatoes, cut into chunks
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
Jasmine rice, cooked (or whatever rice you want)
1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil, curry powder, and paprika in a large skillet over medium-low heat for two minutes, until fragrant (but don't let it burn).
3. Turn the heat up to medium and stir in onions and garlic and cook ten minutes more or until onions are very clear.
4. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and is cooked through.
5. Add potatoes, then add coconut milk, tomatoes (I lightly crushed the stewed tomatoes with my fingers before adding), tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine.
6. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until sauce thickens. The sauce thickens upon standing, but is great served piping hot (and a bit thinner), too.
7. Serve with Jasmine rice (or your favorite rice) and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
*This totally had a great, different flavor that I have never cooked before. I really enjoyed this dish! I cut this recipe in half.