Macaroni and Cheese
from Ryan Parsons
2 1/2 cups uncooked Elbow Macaroni pasta
8 TBS Butter, divided
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch chayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dijion mustard
2 1/2 cups milk
10 oz processed American cheese (Velveta), cubed
1 1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
2/3 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (season with salt and pepper)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, must be very al dente (pasta will cook more in oven). Drain and place in a greased 2.5 qt or 3 qt baking dish.
2. In a suacepan, melt 4 TBS butter. Saute onion until translucent, add garlic.
3. Stir in flour, salt, peppers, and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Add mustard. Bring to a boil; cok and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
4. Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over pasta.
5. Pour over pasta. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
6. Melt remaining butter nad toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
7. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20 minutes. Then sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese on top, cook an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
* I love homemade macaroni! This was delicious (albeit probably a little fattening!) I made it according to the directions and it was just a little, tiny bit dry- but I like my macaroni super creamy. So for this recipe, I, after consulting with my brother, lowered the amount of noodles and increased the amount of milk. Yummy- and pretty sure it is every three-year-old's dream to have their mom say they are having macaroni and cheese for dinner!