from Ryan Parsons
1/4 cup water
1 cup whole milk (or Evaporated Milk)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 1/2 cup unbleached white bread flour (All-purpose will due fine)
1 TB vital wheat gluten (or just add 1 extra TB of flour)
1/4 ounce yeast
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
3 TB cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 ounce cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Remove a large egg from the refrigerator and permit it to reach room temperature.
- Gently melt the butter. Add the Water and Whole Milk. The resulting liquid mixture should be permitted to cool so that it is between 75°F (24°C) and 85°F (30°C) before proceeding further.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, in the order listed above, to the bread machine and prepare using the dough setting.
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator once you've started the dough cycle and allow it to reach room temperature. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- After the dough cycle has completed, roll and stretch the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 15" by 24" rectangle.
- Mark off 1" along the 24" edge of the dough, closest to you. You will not spread any Butter or Sugar-Cinnamon mixture on this edge so that you can seal the roll. Spread the softened Butter over the dough with a rubber spatula and then evenly distribute the Sugar and Cinnamon mixture. Be careful to leave your 1" edge clean. As a final step, use your rolling pin to lightly roll the Sugar and Cinnamon mixture.
- Starting at the far edge of the dough, roll it up tightly. Begin at the far edge and roll up the dough toward the 1" clean edge. The clean 1" edge is used to seal the finished roll. Trim the left and right ends of the roll. The result will be a 24" roll. Trim off the left and right ends of the roll so that you have a flush end at each end of the roll. Then mark the roll every 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm). Cut the roll into 1 1/2" long portions. You should get 15 rolls.
- Coat 2, 13”x9” pans with nonstick spray. Place rolls into baking pans 1" apart. Cover with a lint free cloth and let rise in a warm, draft free place until almost double, approximately 1 hour. After rising, rolls should be touching each other and the sides of the pan.
- After rising, bake in a convection oven at 310°F for 15 minutes. If you are using a conventional oven, bake at 335°F for 20 minutes. The resulting rolls should be only lightly browned.
- Remove the cream cheese and butter from the refrigerator and place it into the mixing bowl. Leave it for about half an hour so that it will not be too cold.
- Use the Flat Beater (or Paddle) to blend the cream cheese and butter for 6 minutes. Use a "slow mixing" speed on your machine.
- Switch to the Stainless Steel Whip and whip the cream cheese and butter mixture for 10 minutes. Use a "medium fast whipping" speed on your machine.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and mix for 1 minute using the Stainless Steel Whip at slow speed. Add the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix for an additional minute.
- Lastly, add the Vanilla Flavor and Lemon Flavor and whip for 1 minute using the Stainless Steel Whip
- Transfer the finished frosting to a convenient covered container and refrigerate it. Once the rolls are finished baking, frost them while they're still very warm and serve them immediately.