Sweet and Spicy Crock Pot Roast
from My Kitchen Cafe
4-7 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed of large areas of fat
1-2 tablespoons saute spice (equal parts garlic powder, salt and black pepper)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can root beer
1 can (around 9 ounces) red chile enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup of water or milk
1. Pat the roast(s) dry with a paper towel; then rub the saute spice all over the roast. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or pot until it is shimmering. Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil, for about 1 minute on each side. The oil should be hot enough to get the roast nicely browned without burning it. Transfer the roast to a crock pot.
2. In a bowl, combine the root beer, enchilada sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce and pour over the roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
3. Remove the roast, reserving juices in the slow cooker. Tent the roast with foil to keep warm.
4. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water/milk, stirring well until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the juices in the slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, on high for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve sauce over roast with mashed potatoes or any other side that you want.
*This roast was so moist and delicious! We absolutely loved the sauce on the pot roast and over the mashed potatoes. Yum! Definitely a wonderful alternative to the regular "Sunday pot roast".