Baked Crispy Orange Hoisin Chicken
recipe and image from nlrockrecipes
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in thick strips
1 egg + 2 TBS water whisked together to make an egg wash
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3 cloves minced garlic
3 TBS peanut oil
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
4 TBS rice wine or cooking wine
3 TBS rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
6 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp chili paste (or chili flakes)
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup steamed snow peas
1/2 cup chopped onion
1. Preheat a baking sheet in a 425 degrees oven.
2. Combine flour mixture.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then in the egg wash, then dredge them again in the flour mixture. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle oil over the tops with a little more peanut oil. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Flip the pieces at a half way through the cooking time. While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce.
4. Heat peanut oil in a wok over med-high heat. Quickly add the garlic and stir fry for only about a minute. Then add 2 cups orange juice.
5. While the sauce is simmering, slightly cook the vegetables in a little oil over med-high heat in a separate pan.
6. Simmer to reduce the orange juice volume by half and then add all the sauce ingredients at once.
7. Bring to a boil and thicken with a slurry of 2 tsp corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water.
8. Then add softened vegetables and chicken to sauce. Serve over rice or noodles.
*This had a very delicious flavor!!