Broccoli and Cheese Soup
from Klisa Plicka
3 (10 oz.) bags of frozen broccoli, chopped
3 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
6 TBS butter or margarine
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cup milk
1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
½ pound shredded cheddar cheese
Season with salt and pepper
1. Simmer chopped broccoli in chicken broth for 15 minutes. (After simmering, you can blend half of the broccoli mixture if you don't like the soup too chunky. Blend it and then just add it back into the pot.)
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in pan over medium heat. Saute onions in butter for 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
3. Add flour and stir to make paste.
4. Slowly stir in milk until thickened. Pour into broth mixture.
5. Put cubes and shredded cheese into soup, stirring until melted. (Careful not to boil cheese mixture- it will break down the cheese.)
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*This soup was definitely the best homemade broccoli and cheese recipe I have made! It definitely makes a difference if you do not let the soup boil. Thanks Klisa!
Nutritional Information for 1 serving:
8 total servings
Calories 487 Calories from fat 297 Total fat 33g Saturated fat 20.7g Cholesterol 103mg Sodium 1612mg Total Carbohydrates 23.6g Dietary Fiber 3.2g Sugars 10.7g Protein 25.4g